Top 5 Traits of an Empowered Empath
In all honesty, many articles I come across about empaths break my heart. Too often in articles empaths are showcased within the role of victim and dis-empowered in and offered sympathy for the difficult hand we have been dealt. It seems too often, online quizzes designed to tell us how empathic by listing symptoms as if being sensitive or empathic is an illness or disease ready for a diagnosis. The comments following these articles and online quizzes are even worse. Page after page of seemingly gifted people solely sharing about the plight of the empath, how impossible it is to create healthy relationships because we are sensitive.
As a empath, as a healer, my heart breaks when I see this. When offered empowering tools, embodiment skills empaths are amazing, sensitive heroes that hold profound gifts for everyone that has the great fortune to cross their path.
Empaths Need Boundaries
More than any other group of people energy sensitive folk and empaths need boundaries. The kind of Energetic boundaries I am talking about are not protection tools, they are not walls and they are not energy clean up tools. Rather they offer us the ability to be in our body safely, authentically and to discern what is ours and what is not ours. True energy boundaries allow us the ability to choose to honor our emotional autonomy and the autonomy of those around us. They give us the space to be empowered enough to live the life we are here to live.
What kind of empath would you like to be?
All of us are on a pretty large evolutionary learning curve in our learning and growing, as individuals and as a community. One of the wonderful things about this kind of learning curve is that we have a fair amount of free will to choose which direction we would like to grow in. As empaths, in most circles we are given a bad rap and few skills in how to hold our power in ways that honor ourselves and everything around us.
Once we figure out what kind of empath we want to be, and in truth there is no right answer, we can use everything from how we word things to our body language to enforce our path of choice and shift our traits.
5 Traits of an Unboundareid Empath
5. We use our sensitivities as an excuse to not engage with life to the fullest or to avoid things that are uncomfortable.
4. We use our sensitivities as justifications to place blame on individuals and behaviors. We are quick to label and judge behaviors, feelings and situations as toxic or negative.
3. We regularly struggle with imbalances of power and engage with others within the framework of the drama triangle, standing in and placing others in roles of victim, persecutor or rescuer.
2. The term empath describes us as a very special yet disadvantaged person in the world.
1. To be an empath gives us appropriate cause to wall our self off from those around us and remain separate from those who we can learn the most from.
5 Traits of an Empowered Empath
5. We learn to work with our sensitivities as inspiration for why we want to learn to honor our personal power and the whole of all that is.
4. We learn to work with our sensitivities to better understand how to offer our self and others compassion when we are in situations we don’t understand or find uncomfortable.
3. Our sensitivities help us to shift imbalances we feel within and negotiate roles of power so all parties feel honored.
2. The term empath describes us as being a one of many empowered humans with extraordinary gifts to create healing within our own being and for the world.
1. To be an empath means we have special tools to help us learn and grow and learn to offer compassion in loving ways to our self and those around us.
A few more words on energetic boundaries
If you struggle with creating energy boundaries, you are not alone. Most of us have grown up and lived most of our life without having ever learned these basic life skills. But if you are like me, you crave something more.
I fell in LOVE with energetic boundaries. The kind of boundaries I am talking about are not protection tools, but actual boundaries created with our very own presence. I love them so much, I wrote a whole book about them. And I promise nothing in this book will tell you to hide or that you are less than, but offer you simple yet powerful empowering embodiement tools to help you become the empowered empath you and I both know you are ready to be.
Joanna is the author of Energetic Boundaries 101. She is a shamanic practitioner, animal communicator and mentor. She works, writes lives and tends to the important matters of spirit-energy with playful, transparency and honesty.
She works with clients all over the globe from her healing studio that is lovingly nestled between Mt Baker and the Salish sea, in Bellingham, WA.